We all know that Adidas is a well-known brand specializing in designing and producing sports shoes, apparel, and accessories. However, is Adidas a luxury brand?
What is a luxurious brand?
Luxury brands often reflect the thoughts and judgments about all product lines that include a high level of price, quality, aesthetics, rareness, uniqueness, and exclusiveness.
Any potential brand that is regarded as a luxury one should be evaluated based on the features of luxury with these main points:
- Price: The brand’s products are among the most expensive. They are much higher compared to the same categories on the market.
- Quality: Quality is also important to affirm the brand and to be worth the money people spend to buy top-of-the-line products.
- Aesthetics: The products also need to be perfect and elegant to deserve a world of beauty and high-end fashion.
- Rareness: Unlike other normal brands, a luxurious one needs to have limited productions and keep its sales numbers in secret.
- Uniqueness: The brand must create and build its own style to attract and impress its consumers.
History of Adidas
To answer the question of whether Adidas is a luxury brand or not, let have a glance at this famous brand’s history. The founder of Adidas is Adolf Dassler.
In 1924, he and his brother Rudolf established the Gebrüder Dassler Schuhfabrik company (“Dassler Brothers Shoe Factory”) in their mother’s house. Their goal was to produce spiked running shoes (spikes) for various sport events.
Dassler convinced Jesse Owens – a renowned U.S. sprinter at that time, to use his handcrafted spikes at the 1936 Summer Olympics. He succeeded and brought many profits for the company after that.
Nevertheless, the relationship between him and Rudolf broke down in 1949 due to a personal breach. Adolf split out and founded Adidas. On the other hand, Rudolf became his business competitor by creating Puma.
Now, Adidas is a global company with the headquarter in Herzogenaurach, Germany. It has become the biggest sportswear producer in Europe and holds the second position in the world (only after Nike).
Is Adidas a luxury brand?
After more than 70 years of growth and development, we believe that Adidas also has a rich and admirable heritage.
The second thing related to today’s topic that we need to consider now is the price of this brand products. According to their retail price, Adidas product is at an average level.
For example, with its men’s shoe lines, the cheapest product price is $28 and the most expensive shoes only cost $700. Comparing to the product of Gucci, you need to pay at least $580 to buy the most affordable sneaker of this brand.
Therefore, in our opinion, Adidas is not considered a luxury brand. It is more like a mass-market one.
Above are just our points of view. And, how about you? Do you think that Adidas is a luxury brand? Tell us your opinions by commenting on this post. Thank you for reading and see you next time.